What is ECO Mark?
Bureau of Indian Standard issues the certification mark “ECO MARK” to products which meet the standards that cause less impact on the environment. This scheme was mainly implemented to create awareness among the customers for protecting the environment. The mark to various product categories which meets the requirements of Indian Standards and are environmentally friendly products. Mainly consumer goods and household goods are covered under this scheme.
Types of Product under this Scheme
The following category of product are covered under this scheme which is administered by the Bureau of Indian Standards:
- Soaps and Detergents;
- Wood Substitutes;
- Propellants and Aerosols;
- Food Items (edible oils – including Vanaspati, Tea and Coffee);
- Electrical and Electronics Goods;
- Packing/Packaging Materials;
- Lubricating/Speciality Oils;
- Foods Preservatives and Additives;
Purpose of ECO Mark Scheme
- To encourage the consumer to use and buy products which are environment friendly
- To provide reward and promote the initiatives taken by company for producing environmental friendly product.
- To provide incentives to manufacturers for reducing the adverse impact of its products on environment
- To improve the quality of environment and manage the available resource of India.
Criteria for ECO Mark
ECO MARK Scheme is having its operation in all over India and provides certification and labelling for house hold and other consumer products which meets the prescribed environment requirements under the Indian Standards.
The Indian Standards follows the following procedure for implementation of Scheme:
- Evaluation of product for ECO mark
- Eligible product shall be ISI Certified Product
- Inspection and Testing sample of a product
- Assessment of production process includes the source of raw material like impact on the environment, effect and extent of waste arising from production, disposal of waste and its utilization, recycling process, etc.